• Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, English, education or related field
• Minimum of two years of experience or training in public relations or journalism
• Any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities
Essential Job Functions:
• Assists the Director for Communications in managing a range of communications and public relations functions.
• Provides support to district leadership, including principals and senior staff in writing and editing public communications, news releases, school board documents, scripts, letters from principals to parents, etc.
• Drives the social media presence for the district with strategic postings to the district’s Facebook. Twitter, and other social media accounts. Provides training and support to schools in their social media efforts.
• Independently creates engaging video and photography content with an understanding of how such imagery plays a role in strategic communications.
• Create the monthly “Superintendent Spotlight” video story.
• Supports Director during crisis events and supporting communications, such as drafting news releases, scripts, statements, monitoring media outlets, staffing media on-site, etc.
• Assists the Director in coordinating public appearances, activities, communications and presentations for the Superintendent and Senior Staff as requested
• Assists Director in managing the school district's ConnectEd phone messaging system; assists with distribution of emergency and outreach messages.
• Designs, prepares and disseminates web-based banner ads, event program books, flyers, posters, signage, and other miscellaneous promotional or informational materials
• Designs and publishes the school district’s yearly calendar and student code of conduct.
• Maintains the district’s letterhead, business cards and logo files.
• Monitors news publications and other media coverage at local, state and national news and distributes information to appropriate personnel.
• Provides consultation on internal communications as directed.
• Represents the school system in interaction with community agencies and organizations as requested by the Director.
• Oversees and maintains content of the school district’s website, and trains and supports school-based websites.
• Assists with coordinating Key Communicators committee and district-level Parent Advisory Council.
• Coordinates the district’s Growing to Greatness Award program and all other recognitions at School Board meetings.
• Operates and maintains proper accountability for all equipment in the graphics, photography and videography production area.
• Demonstrates a strong knowledge of all Microsoft Office products and software related to videography, graphic design and photography such as Adobe-based software.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Director for Communications and the Superintendent.