SEIU National Fast Food Workers Union ( NFFWU) , Service Employees International Union
Job Title: Communications Specialist
Locations: Raleigh / Durham, NC
SEIU National Fast Food Workers Union is hiring 2 full-time Communications Specialists to cover the Western and Midsouth States. We seek individuals who are interested in a career fighting alongside low wage workers who are leading the campaign to win “$15 and a Union”.
1. Western Position will cover: Arizona, California, Florida, Texas
2. MidSouth Position will cover: Arkansas, Iowa, Louisiana, Minnesota, Tennessee
About SEIU NFFWU
SEIU NFFWU is working to expand the movement and deepen the successful fights to raise employment standards and unite workers in organizing their union in the fast food industry through national, state and community campaigns.
SEIU NFFWU is affiliated with the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), which has more than 2 million members in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico. NFFWU is united with those 2.2 million members in a shared belief in the dignity of workers, the value of their work, and in a commitment to a more just and humane society.
Purpose: Communications Coordinator is responsible for assisting in communications support of organizing, political action, and other activities of NFFWU and affiliate unions. S/he will have direct responsibility for developing and coordinating communications strategy, media relations, and messaging for campaign and other union projects.
Primary Responsibilities: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
· Manages media relations in coordination with community coalition and spokespeople.
· Identifies and builds trusting relationships with worker-leaders, as spokespeople, in conjunction with organizers.
· Develops strong public spokespeople to confidently speak on union issues to community, coworkers, and in media interviews.
· Writes talking points, speeches, leaflets, press materials, letters to the editor, op-eds, background pieces and other collateral materials as needed.
· Coordinates with staff and contract staff regarding campaign photo/video needs and delivers a variety of testimony and action clips.
· Manages campaign event logistics and communications, i.e. strategy, message, location, signage, visuals, materials, media outreach, spokesperson prep, interviews event flow and agenda.
· Monitors media coverage of the union, answers inquiries from the news media, maintains clipping files, makes recommendations to improve media coverage.
· Performs other duties as required to support the local and its mission.
· Must have demonstrated ability to take initiative, manage own work and work of others without supervision.
· Must use a high level of judgment and discretion in resolving problems.
· Must maintain a high level of confidentiality in handling SEIU NFFWU affairs.
· Must be able to handle multiple “priority” projects simultaneously and set and meet deadlines, and ensure that staff team does the same.
· Must be able to perform proactive media outreach; maintain good working relationships with journalists; and generate positive media coverage.
· Must be able to work effectively with members, unorganized workers, the media, and community allies.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in communications or related field. Three years of related work experience or a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
· Experience developing and implementing strategy on a wide range of campaigns, including organizing, contract, political, and legislative, as well as experience working with community allies.
· Thorough knowledge of media relations strategies.
· Thorough knowledge of electronic and print media systems.
· Excellent writing, verbal, and analytical skills.
· Demonstrated capacity to continuously develop knowledge and skills related to use of rapidly changing technology.
· Knowledge of unions or other advocacy organizations.
· Skill in the use of personal computer including Microsoft Office Suite.
· Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
Direction and Decision Making: This position reports to the Director of Communications for the Fight for $15 Campaign of NFFWU.
Physical Requirements: Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and travel may be required.
Probationary period: Thirty six (36) calendar weeks.
Application Requirements: A cover letter, resume and writing sample is required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work forSEIU NFFWU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
Benefits: SEIU NFFWU staff enjoys top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, competitive salaries, generous holiday and vacation policies, and a 401(K) Plan.
Salary: $45k - $55k
SEIU NFFWU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/mvywqf83w55r5vdn