The Susan G. Komen North Carolina Triangle to the Coast Affiliate is seeking an innovative, high-energy, relationship builder to serve as its Communications/Marketing Manager. This full-time, salaried position with benefits reports directly to the Executive Director and is a vital member of the Development Team. The Communications/Marketing Manager is responsible for building a community of active and engaged supporters of the Affiliate through creative, intentional strategies that leverage multi-media channels and yields increased participation and funding to support the Komen mission.
Susan G. Komen North Carolina Triangle to the Coast funds grants to agencies and organizations in its 29-county service area that support the continuum of breast health from screening and education to breast cancer treatment and post treatment services. The Affiliate’s funds also supports life-saving breast cancer research. To fulfill this mission, the Affiliate relies on annual financial support from engaged donors through the Race for the Cure® and other fundraising activities through-out the year. The Affiliate, which was named the international Affiliate of the Year in 2008, has a passionate staff and a highly dedicated volunteer base. The Affiliate is a high-energy, fast-paced environment suitable for a self-motivated, creative and talented team member.
• Uphold and promote the Susan G. Komen mission.
• Develop and implement an annual engagement plan detailing specific strategies, including, but not limited to: fundraising strategies such as Community for the Cure; Teens for the Cure; and third party events; intentional multi-media communications that invite Komen supporters into conversation with the Affiliate and with one another.
• Develop and execute communications vehicles and strategies to create momentum and awareness for Komen’s mission, events and annual giving program, and create evaluation strategies to measure the effectiveness of communications activities and tools.
• Promote the organization and its programs across various media outlets including television, radio, print, social media and Internet.
• Manage all social media efforts: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. Explore and develop new ways to leverage social media communications. Increase Facebook and Twitter followers.
• Actively engage, cultivate and manage media relationships to ensure coverage surrounding Komen programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects:
o Assist with writing, editing and distributing press releases and media advisories;
o Respond to media requests; exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and assist with preparing talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed;
o Develop and maintain a media contact list that represents the major and minor media markets in the Affilate service area. Develop personal relationships with key media influencers in the region.
• Manage Affiliate website. Ensure the accuracy, consistency and timeliness of material created for the Affiliate website and coordinate deadlines with contributors including Affiliate staff, Komen HQ staff, volunteers, partners and vendors.
• Work independently or with staff or volunteers to produce clear and effective informational and/or promotional materials and ensure consistent use and delivery of Komen’s “core” messages.
• Manage the development and distribution of all print communications including the newsletters, direct mail, banners, posters, promotion and marketing materials for the Annaual Research Series and Race promotions and marketing collateral.
• Develop and manage a marketing strategy to effectively promote the organization and educate the public about key issues, services and needs. This includes:
o Assist with the development and implementation of messaging strategies for the Affiliate’s annual fund program.
o Manage and promote the Affiliate’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month Program, national Cause Related Marketing, Affiliate Raffles, Dine out for the Cure and other potential programs both as fundraisers and as local marketing opportunities.
• Explore and develop new ways to leverage the Affiliate’s fundraising, mission and advocacy efforts to create marketing and public relations opportunities for the organization.
• Ensure that Affiliate marketing and communication efforts are consistent with and supportive of Komen’s national communications, branding and marketing guidelines. Report to Affilate staff on most updated messaging from Komen National and ensure brand consistency throughout the organization.
• Monitor and recommend opportunities for public recognition of the Affiliate, Affiliate activities and/or individual staff or volunteers: awards, recognition and/or memberships.
• Support Race for the Cure® staff and volunteers to coordinate and train Race teams and coaches; promote the Race through social media and other communications to an engaged community of supporters; help steward Race volunteers, participants, donors and corporate sponsors.
• Recruit, train, and retain social media ambassadors who will keep the Komen conversation flowing across the Affiliate service area.
• Perform any other duties assigned by the Executive Director.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• A proven track record with 3 – 5 years of experience in building and maintaining relationships that foster donor engagement.
• Strong working knowledge and understanding of traditional and evolving communication platforms with a demonstrated ability to leverage these platforms to engage a community of volunteer and financial supporters.
• Equipped with the gift of inspiring others through effective written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
• Capacity to prioritize daily and ongoing tasks from an organizational and individual prospective; highly organized, team player.
• Willingness to maintain a non-traditional work schedule as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college/university.
• Working knowledge of Canva, WordPress, Hootsuite, Convio
Must be able to use own vehicle for occasional travel within the Affiliate 29-county service area (mileage will be reimbursed). Occasional travel to national conferences and training. Flexible hours to accommodate occasional evening and weekend work.
$42,000 - $50,000 with full benefits.
Armstrong McGuire & Associates is screening the initial round of candidates for this search. Komen will be conducting interviews. To apply, click on the link to the Komen position at www.ArmstrongMcGuire.com/apply. You will see instructions for uploading your cover letter, resume and professional references. Candidate may be asked to provide writing samples. In case of any technical problems, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.