New Hanover County is seeking a Communications & Outreach Coordinator to help lead the development and implementation of effective communication strategies to tell New Hanover County's story. This position reports to the Chief Communications Officer and plays an integral role on the Communications & Outreach team, managing media and public relations for the county.
• Build and maintain the county’s positive image, promote the county’s services, activities, and policy decisions, and share timely and important news with the community.
• Cultivate and maintain open relationships with media representatives, conduct media roundtables, and provide internal training for media relations.
• Research and collect information to write and produce news releases and other high-quality communication and marketing products.
• Respond effectively and efficiently to all media inquiries about initiatives, services, and programs promoted by the county; or refer inquirers to appropriate points of contact.
• Organize news conferences, special forums, and events.
• Performs work during emergency/disaster situations as a Public Information Officer for the county, and focuses year-round on emergency communications through the development of targeted communication strategies and proactive planning.
• Oversee the facilitation of citizen inquiries and public records requests, in coordination with the appropriate departments.
• Assist in managing consistent internal communications within the organization.
• Collaborate with county departments to develop communications plans, with clear timelines and strategic, targeted messages and tactics for events and programs.
• Develop and edit departmental communications (written, visual, and verbal materials), and craft talking points for executives and elected officials.
• Supervise staff, to include prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations, and ensuring that staff is trained; and make hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
• Conduct outreach into the community, including the marketing and promotion of events and services.
• Measure outcomes and tracks effectiveness of outreach and external communications and makes appropriate recommendations for changes, as necessary.
• Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Public Administration or a related field and five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in media and public relations; or an equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above. Experience working in a government or public sector role is preferred.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of public relations, communications, and customer service principles; have exceptional writing skills, particularly for news writing; understand the structure of local, state, and federal governments; be a strategic and creative thinker; have meticulous attention to detail; work well under pressure and meeting deadlines; have excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to multitask and adapt to changing priorities; and be innovative, organized, and self-motivated.
The hiring range for this position is $52,732 - $71,188.50 plus a competitive benefits package. Salary will be determined based on qualifications, internal equity, budget, and market considerations. Please visit our careers site at www.nhcgov.com/careers for more information about our benefits.
ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS UNTIL JULY 11. View more and apply at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nhc/jobs/3127266/communications-outreach-coordinator.