North Carolina's Electric Cooperatives, which provide power to more than 2.5 million North Carolinians, are looking for an enthusiastic Communications Specialist who has a heart for philanthropy, the ability to build connections with the media and external partners, and the drive to develop and execute communications plans, produce great print and digital content, and lead cooperative community relations programs.
• Support company and member cooperatives’ public relations and reputation-building initiatives.
• Lead the Bright Ideas education grant program and other strategic philanthropy and external outreach.
• Serve as spokesperson for, and share news far and wide about, electric cooperatives’ community-focused initiatives. Support electric cooperatives statewide with community relations communications strategy and material development. Contribute new ideas to grow and increase the impact and reach of community and philanthropic efforts.
• Participate in social media strategy, content development and community management.
• Follow evolving communications strategies and think creatively about traditional and digital communications applications, including the development of multimedia content and writing for the web.
• Support critical issues communications, including legislative and industry issues.
• Serve as integral part of crisis communications team during major events, like ice storms and hurricanes.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of media relations, and communications strategy and execution, as well as familiarity with digital communication best practices and AP Style. Brand management experience is a plus.
ABILITIES AND SKILLS
Ability to communicate effectively and creatively in oral and written forms, including news, feature and digital writing. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Microsoft Word and PowerPoint. Familiarity with WordPress, as well as online graphics and multimedia development tools and resources.
At least three years of experience in the communications field, whether with a corporation, non-profit organization or as part of a public relations or marketing agency. Excellent written and verbal communications skills are required, as is a desire to work on philanthropic programs that support students, teachers and communities. Media relations experience and comfort with public speaking is preferred. Experience with communications planning is also preferred. Experience in the energy industry and/or as part of a trade association is a plus.
Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, English, journalism or related fields is required.
Manager of Communications and Media Relations
Normal working conditions, including some travel and responsibilities outside of normal business hours. Includes working shifts during crisis conditions, such as hurricanes and ice storms.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at https://www.ncelectriccooperatives.com/careers/.
WHO WE ARE
North Carolina’s Electric Cooperatives is the brand for the family of organizations formed to support the state’s 26 local electric cooperatives, including: North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation, the power supplier to many of the electric cooperatives; North Carolina Association of Electric Cooperatives, the cooperatives’ trade association; and Tarheel Electric Membership Association, Inc. (TEMA), a central purchasing and materials-supply cooperative. North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment.