NCHA is a statewide trade association representing more than 130 hospitals providing acute care, ambulatory care, sub-acute care, rehabilitative, home health and hospice services, behavioral health services, state psychiatric inpatient services and veterans’ services. The association promotes and supports our members and associated partners by advocating for sound public policy, advancing collaborative partnerships, and accelerating innovation to improve the health of the communities where we live and work. NCHA achieves this work by leverage the scope and scale associated with a $17+ million-dollar organization, which is funded by members’ dues, grants, and shared service.
The North Carolina Healthcare Association (NCHA) is seeking a full-time Communications Specialist. Reporting to the Director of Communications, this position is responsible for developing compelling, effective social and digital content that builds support for the association and its member health systems and hospitals. The position is a strategic content creator who demonstrates a passion for sharing news and telling stories that celebrate the work of health systems and hospitals and their people and enhances the association’s reputation. It collaborates with the communications and public relations staff to achieve communications and marketing goals and integrates content across channels and platforms. The position also assists with the association’s proactive and reactive public relations and media relations activities.
Writing, editing and publishing news and stories
• Work with Director of Communications to own day-to-day management of NCHA’s websites and social platforms. Develop and nurture relationships with NCHA members and colleagues to learn about interesting programs, initiatives and storytelling opportunities. Conduct interviews to produce assigned pieces. Plan and participate in regular editorial meetings between NCHA and member and subsidiary communication contacts.
• Help to plan and maintain a multi-platform editorial calendar at the direction of supervisor, including recommending content for enhanced or paid promotion and posting content across multiple NCHA communications platforms.
• Create, deploy and monitor interesting and useful website and social media content. Coordinate the review and approval process; circulate drafts among stakeholders and collect and incorporate edits. Select or take photos, record videos and create simple graphics to accompany news/stories. Edit multimedia and ensure it adheres to NCHA brand standards and guidelines.
Maintaining external and internal digital/social media
• Develop and publish content for social media sites generated by NCHA. Monitor channels for conversations and mentions of NCHA. Respond to comments and direct messages, complying with HIPAA and other privacy regulations
• Analyze the performance of NCHA digital/social media channels and content; identify and investigate trends; prepare reports and recommend actions to enhance effectiveness and reach.
• Research and recommend strategies to continually improve the design and effectiveness of the NCHA.org and NCHealthcare.org websites. Update websites and create and update printed and digital materials/newsletters, as assigned.
• Help maintain NCHA’s Communications SharePoint intranet.
Providing general communications support
• Assist with planning and implementing communications campaigns, events and initiatives such as virtual town halls and press conferences.
• Work closely with NCHA staff to create, produce, and distribute public relations, communications and advocacy materials and collateral.
• Serve as back-up photographer and videographer at conferences and events.
• Develop and distribute daily NCHA NewsLinks digital publication summarizing news coverage of NCHA, our members and other healthcare news of interest to members.
• Maintain NCHA media contacts database or spreadsheet.
• Develop content for NCHA’s digital signage at its headquarters.
• Represent NCHA’s communications team on committees and in meetings, as needed.
• Perform other tasks and duties as identified or assigned by the President, the organizational supervisor, or the position itself.
• Embrace the NCHA mission to improve the health of the communities where we live and work by advocating for sound public policy and collaborative partnerships.
• Support the vision of a North Carolina where high-quality healthcare is equitable and accessible for all.
• Demonstrate the association’s core values in all relationships, at all times including Respect, Integrity, Teamwork, Accountability and Perseverance.
• Work closely with the Vice President of Communications and Communications Director. Has frequent contact with other NCHA team members for production of Association communications and activities.
• Has frequent contact with outside vendors as needed for graphic design projects and print needs. Has limited contact with member hospital public relations staffs as needed in cultivating web/social media content.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, and Marketing, or related field required.
• Minimum three (3) years of related experience in a business environment. Prefer five or more years of experience in communications, including but not limited to social media, electronic content creation, web, writing, graphic design, video, print and/or related tasks/projects.
• Graphic design experience preferred.
• An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.
• Demonstrated success using social media platforms.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Public relations, digital marketing, website and social media skills.
• Understanding of communication principles, practices, platforms and technologies.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with proficiency in proofreading, editing and AP Style.
• Experience with social media content, engagement and analytics, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube in a business setting.
• Sound news judgment.
• Exceptional creativity in content creation with a passion for storytelling.
• Capable of understanding multiple audiences and able to develop content focused on specific audience needs.
• Ability to work under deadline, both within a strategic communications team as well as independently. Capable to manage own workflow, competing priorities and take responsibility for the quality of individual work.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite applications such as Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, InDesign and Photoshop.
• Proficiency in WordPress and SharePoint preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
• Work performed mostly in an office environment.
• Use a computer throughout the workday.
• May require occasional travel.
North Carolina Healthcare Association is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or other protected status.