Communications Writer and Editor
Salem Academy and College is looking for a Communications Writer & Editor to develop compelling content through engaging messaging and storytelling techniques that connects with a vast, multicultural audience and influential stakeholder groups including prospective students, parents, alumni, and donors. The Communications Writer & Editor develops engaging content for marketing and communications materials, writes and edits reports, news releases and feature articles, website content, presentations, video scripts, and other forms of internal and external materials. The ideal candidate will have advanced written communication skills, extensive knowledge of Associated Press (AP) writing and editing, and experience writing editorial copy and providing support for public relations initiatives and objectives. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of multiple media formats and the ability to write for different communications platforms including executive level messaging. The Communications Writer & Editor will support new branding initiatives and help develop a unified voice among Salem’s various communications channels.
The Communications Writer & Editor must have strong interpersonal communication skills and enthusiasm to work with different internal groups, understand their communications and marketing needs, and translate messaging into audience friendly materials to meet marketing and communications goals and objectives. The Communications Writer & Editor will have a deep understanding of Salem’s various target audiences and stakeholders and how to adapt writing style based on audience preferences and the platforms used to communicate. The successful candidate reports to the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications and assists in developing comprehensive communications plans and multimedia campaigns.
The Communications Writer & Editor helps to position Salem as one of the most esteemed liberal arts colleges for women and as the nation’s only college dedicated to elevating and expanding women’s roles in health leadership. The writer and editor also supports communications and marketing efforts for Salem Academy, a boarding and day school exclusive for girls grades 9-12. Crucial to this role, the ideal candidate will develop, manage, and maintain the agency’s content calendar by using an online management tool.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the primary writer and editor for Salem Academy and College
- Proactively create, develop, and manage the institution’s content calendar using an online tool
- Write, create, design, distribute, and manage newsletters
- Oversee the production of various annual reports by writing content, collaborating with our photographer for quality images, and collaborating with a graphic designer for design
- Write copy, develop content, and help manage websites
- Develop strategic messaging for branding campaigns
- Write copy and messaging for email marketing campaigns
- Collaborate with the social media manager to synergize content calendars and to ensure a unified voice across platforms
- Collaborate with in-house videographer to write compelling scripts for short and long form videos
- Write and distribute news releases and assist with various media relations efforts
- Collaborate with enrollment marketing and other departments to update admissions materials for student recruitment and alumni outreach
- Help to develop various marketing and communications plans and campaigns
- Assist in executive leadership communications, reviewing presentations, and developing talking points for speeches
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing, or related field
- Five years of experience in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing, or related field
- Thorough working knowledge of Associated Press (AP) writing and editing
- Employ near-perfect proofreading review of documents and materials
- Ability to apply discretion and judgment in evaluating implications of information release to internal and external audiences
- Superb writing, editing, content, and message development skills
- Strong interpersonal skills to collaborate with individuals in varying positions
- Collaborative mindset working on a team to achieve organizational goals
- Ability to take initiative to outline new processes and innovative tools to support marketing and communications goals
- Experience in publication and editorial processes and managing complex editorial and publication projects
- Experience working in higher education or in the educational field preferred
- Graphic design skills a plus
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and samples of your writing to email@example.com.