Director of Media Relations
Director of Media Relations
The Hunt Institute’s mission is to provide unbiased research, technical expertise, and learning
opportunities that equip and empower educators and policymakers to drive equitable reforms and become audacious champions for education. Since its establishment in 2001, The Hunt Institute has emerged as a recognized and credible leader in the movement to transform American public education and a go-to source for reliable, objective, and timely information. The Institute works at the intersection of education policy and politics, supporting state and national officials and empowering them to transform education. The Institute’s mandate is to inspire and equip elected officials and senior policymakers to make informed decisions that improve the lives of all children, with its primary audience consisting of governors, legislators, and other elected and state-level policymakers.
The Hunt Institute is seeking a Director of Media Relations to join the team and support
media-related activities promoting The Institute’s mission, vision and programs. The Director will be responsible for overseeing the development and execution of various publicity campaigns, ensuring that our brand image remains consistent and positive while expanding it to a wider audience. This position will work closely with leadership and across teams to create and implement a unified media strategy, and oversee Institutional communications to the media, including preparing articles, press kits, press releases, and other content initiatives. The Director will supervise two full-time employees (social media coordinator and copywriter/editor). The position is based out of The Hunt Institute’s office in Cary, North Carolina.
• Work to elevate The Hunt Institute’s local, regional, and national reputation by leveraging The
Institute’s brand, its expert team, and its position as a highly respected and trusted leader
working at the intersection of education policy and politics.
• Collaborate with colleagues across The Institute to create and/or identify content with broad
media and public appeal.
• Advise and provide media and marketing support to the President, leadership team, communications team and all content teams.
• Lead the day-to-day supervision of media planning including press briefings, media events,
pitch materials, press releases, execution details, etc. •Develop strategies and written press materials — media advisories, press releases, talking
points, story pitches, spokesperson media training, media briefs and manage the approval process with internal stakeholders and partners.
• Foster strategic storytelling for The Hunt Institute social media platforms and build a
productive relationship with the media to ensure consistent coverage that reflects the values and mission of The Institute.
• Meet due date deadlines for edits and approvals. This includes covering events, conducting
interviews, scheduling photos and more.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with key external stakeholders, influencers and
• Serve as external media contact and act as overarching lead when appropriate. Speak on behalf of The Institute in interviews and press conferences as needed.
• Delegate tasks to members of the media marketing team and monitor their progress.
• Track The Institute’s initiatives and campaigns successes and media coverage. Support
development of reports on the effectiveness of campaigns.
• Work with social media coordinator to ensure consistency between social content and broader
• Assist in ensuring brand consistency in all marketing content.
• All other duties as assigned. Qualifications:
• Degree in marketing, communications, journalism or relevant field.
• Minimum of 7 years relevant work experience in media relations.
• Experience guiding, directing and motivating team members, including setting performance
standards and monitoring performance.
• Experience establishing long-range objectives and specifying the strategies and actions to
• Media planning experience with proven examples of strategies developed for brands that can show growth of earned media and affiliates network.
• Digitally fluent, with an understanding of the complex, fragmented media landscape and how to bring together cohesive programs and drive results.
• Creative thinking with an affinity for innovation and problem-solving.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
• In-depth understanding of web and marketing analytics.
• Ability to conduct market research and present reports.
• Ability to travel (anticipated 20%). Accountability:
• Ensures The Hunt Institute is well represented in the media
• Ensures media relations team meets objectives and deadlines
• Achieves positive media coverage on local, state and national levels
• Writes and produces a variety of stories and content that positively promote The Hunt Institute
• Nonprofit, agency, TV/radio or news organization experience strongly preferred.
• Background working with and/or for elected officials.
• Familiarity with Cision PR Software.
• Paid advertising and media buying experience. Ideal candidates will also demonstrate:
• Resourcefulness and good judgment.
• Leadership by example.
• The value of diversity of thought, backgrounds, and perspectives.
• Integrity/ethics beyond reproach.
• Constant seeking to apply best practices.
• Willingness to work collaboratively and consider new ideas.
• Commitment to The Hunt Institute’s mission, vision, financial stability, and success.
Benefits and Compensation
The Hunt Institute offers competitive compensation and an attractive benefits package, including health, dental and vision and a 401(k) plan with an employer matching contribution policy. We feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. The salary recruitment range for this position is: $95,000 – $116,250.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At The Hunt Institute, Equal Employment Opportunity is our commitment and goal. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status designated by federal, state, or local law. Applicants are encouraged to
confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference check and background investigation.
To apply: Please submit cover letter, along with a résumé or CV, and a writing sample (no more than five pages; sections from a longer paper can be submitted) to email@example.com with the subject line “Last Name – Director of Media Relations.” No phone calls, please.