This position works with the senior leadership team, volunteer leaders and business owners throughout the organization to raise the profile of the accounting profession domestically and globally with member and non-member audiences.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Seek information/research on the business environment affecting accounting professionals (both in public accounting/firms and outside of public accounting). Identify trends and developments (technical and professional) providing members with opportunities to add value, expand or enhance offerings and remain relevant in serving clients and employers. Integrate these elements into presentations, talking points, bylined articles, videos, social media, publicity, infographics, webpages and other platforms, working collaboratively with other internal teams if needed.
• Collaborate with members of the communications team to make sure information, resources and messaging is appropriately and sufficiently delivered to Association members and others on a timely basis.
• Implement strategic communications plans that support significant initiatives regarding CPA and CGMA services that the public relies on (that is, core activities of the profession).
• Prepare PowerPoint slides, talking points, video scripts, speeches, articles, FAQs, bylined pieces and other resources to communicate on Association initiatives and key professional issues. Materials must be current, technically accurate and provided to spokespeople and volunteer leadership in a timely fashion. Presentations, articles and other materials often are tailored for the speaker and customized for the event/audience.
• Manage and maintain the quarterly Key Issues Document highlighting the top professional issues and Association initiatives for the Board of Directors and senior staff.
• Manage the chairman’s bimonthly blog post, from topic selection through copy approvals, working with the chairman.
• Develop topic, research and prepare bimonthly blog for President/CEO, identifying key issues/trends to position President/CEO as thought leader.
• Manage content for multiple AICPA.org pages, including updating material and refreshing content as needed.
• Ensure message consistency and visibility throughout Association communications
• Prepare bylined articles or other written pieces from leadership for non-AICPA books, magazines or publications.
• Track results and prepare monthly metric reports on activities, providing insights and analysis on results and potential improvements.
• Provide writing support throughout team as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
• Understanding of sensitivities and nuances on multiple issues and involving different stakeholders leadership abilities to influence others and build consensus
• Excellent project planning and management to work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Strategic thinking, solid data analysis and strong decision making
• Effective researching, writing and editing
• Strong script and speechwriting
• Ability to spot trends in business, academia, careers and relate them to accounting profession
• Ability to translate complex and/or technical information into thought leadership messaging
• Ability to present complex and/or technical information visually (slides, infographics, images, charts/graphs, etc.)
• Expertise in Microsoft PowerPoint and similar software or web-based solutions (Apple’s Keynote, Prezi). Familiarity with Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign.
• Working knowledge of social media
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Commitment to quality
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel
• Ability to travel
• 5-7 years’ experience in product marketing communications with demonstrated success in meeting or exceeding business goals
• Demonstrated success in developing thought leadership collateral, using numerous data points and getting input from subject matter experts
• Experience with producing, publishing or preparing creative slide presentations, backgrounders, talking/message points, articles, reports, emails, video scripts, executive summaries, blog posts, infographics, etc.
• Bachelor’s Degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or a related field
• Master’s Degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or a related field
• Experience or knowledge of CPA profession and/or financial service industry, or other technical field
• Understanding of global business environment
• Experience with website content management