Public Relations Manager
Apply at: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=70548&clientkey=216ACD6A7708116A2520086D1831B051
Discover Durham is Durham’s marketing and sales agency, helping draw nearly 12 million leisure, business, and sports visitors to our vibrant, eclectic community prior to the pandemic. We’re looking for a Public Relations (PR) Manager to join our talented Marketing team to manage proactive and reactive efforts at the national, regional, and local level, ultimately increasing awareness of Durham as an appealing visitor destination.
This job requires a strong attention to detail, the ability to self-direct and prioritize competing tasks, along with critical thinking, stakeholder communications, and problem-solving skills. This role reports directly to the Senior Director of Marketing.
• Manage Discover Durham’s ongoing strategic public relations efforts and corresponding campaigns and initiatives, conducting research, pitching media, generating story ideas
• Meet with and tour media on assignment visiting the Bull City once they arrive. Draft itineraries, facilitate travel logistics, and coordinate interviews or stopping points at Durham-based stakeholders. Provide a media kit upon the media member’s arrival.
• Strategically attend media and trade events ready to pitch Durham as a premier destination, creating opportunities to network with out-of-market media members
• Organize media events hosted by Discover Durham, recruiting national, regional, and local media to attend
• Field inbound media inquiries, ensuring deadlines are met and story ideas are supported
• Execute occasional PR outreach efforts for the Durham Sports Commission to help increase awareness of the organization and its mission to attract more sporting events to Durham
• Draft and distribute press releases, pitch sheets, media alerts, backgrounders, and other materials as needed
• Maintain the media section of Discover Durham’s website, aimed to assist media interested in visiting or researching Durham storylines
• Build and update national and regional media lists using Cision PR Software
• Advise and consult Durham-based partners on an as-needed basis about PR efforts and distribute press releases to media lists on behalf of partners
• Monitor Durham and industry-related conversations
• Evaluate PR performance, as well as develop and manage internal reports
Skills and Qualifications
• 3-5 years of public relations experience
• Exceptional writing and copyediting skills
• Excellent organizational and planning skills with an attention to detail
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Degree in journalism, public relations, communications, or similar
• Durham residency is preferred, if not an understanding of the destination and what sets it apart
The Public Relations Manager role includes a daytime work schedule with some flexibility, plus occasional evening or weekend hours based on journalists’ needs.
Salary & Benefits:
Discover Durham offers exceptional benefits, including employer-paid insurance premiums for staff, generous retirement contributions, an enviable vacation and holiday allowance, free downtown parking, and a great team of coworkers. While the Discover Durham office in the heart of downtown Durham is presently closed and staff is working remotely in light of the pandemic, the position will be primarily carried out in person as our staff returns to the building. You will be expected to work 40 hours a week. This is an exempt position with occasional overnight travel. Salary is mid-to-upper $40s.
Discover Durham is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.