The Durham Convention and Visitors Bureau is Durham’s marketing agency, helping draw nearly 16 million leisure and business visitors to our vibrant, eclectic city last year. Durham is an exciting place to be, and we are looking for a part time Public Relations Assistant to help us communicate with local, national, and international media.
• Assist DCVB’s Director of Public Relations and Content with ongoing strategic public relations programs and corresponding campaigns and initiatives, providing research, drafting itineraries and generating story ideas
• Meet with and tour journalists around the Bull City once they arrive, in addition to facilitating their trips, coordinating interviews and stops at Durham-based partners, as well as compiling media kits.
• Help coordinate media events hosted by DCVB and the Durham Sports Commission
• Field inbound media inquiries, ensuring deadlines are met and story ideas supported
• Attend media and trade events ready to pitch Durham as a premier travel and leisure destination
• Build and update national and regional media lists using Cision PR Software
• Curate a database of editorial calendars for media publications aligned with DCVB’s mission and target audiences
• Distribute press releases to media lists on behalf of partners
• Monitor Durham and industry-related conversations
• Help evaluate PR performance and manage internal reports
Skills and Qualifications
• 1-2 years of related experience
• Exceptional writing and speaking skills
• Excellent organizational and planning skills and attention to detail
• Strong interpersonal skills and customer service mindset
• Able to work onsite in DCVB’s offices in Downtown Durham and potential for occasional late or weekend hours.
• Degree in journalism, public relations, communications, or similar
• Durham residency is preferred