The Public Relations Manager works with the chancellor of WGU North Carolina and the public relations staff of WGU national to promote a positive image of WGU North Carolina to the media, general public, specialized communities, employers, educators, students, and prospective students through effective use of media, engagements, special events, campaigns, promotions, and other related activities. *LI-AB-EG
The major accountabilities of the position are positive ongoing press coverage throughout the state; a robust online presence and social dialogue for WGU North Carolina' online communities; coordinating engagements, events, and campaigns that increase lead generation while engaging students and alumni; as well as constantly writing and generating content for news, social media, and WGU North Carolina online presence.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Ensure that WGU North Carolina has a positive image throughout the State by:
- Assisting the chancellor in strategic communications, with an emphasis on media relations.
- Coordinating work by other PR/Marketing firms as appropriate.
- Coordinating events for media as well as students and alumni.
- Creating opportunities for placement of press releases to keep the presence of WGU North Carolina constantly before the public in a positive manner.
- Conducting interviews, researching, and writing web copy as well as copy for articles, print, radio and TV, social media updates, newsletters and promotional materials.
- Providing information to media outlets by generating news releases and articles, arranging press conferences, and acting as a media liaison to disseminate information to inform and educate the public about WGU programs.
- Maintaining an ongoing interface with WGU North Carolina and WGU national to elicit news and promotional items of interest.
- Managing overall strategic social media plan and implementation, including creating online blogs and posts and initiating dialogue with online communities that promote WGU North Carolina brand and degree programs.
- Monitoring media coverage and complying with media queries for information.
- Arranging, conducting and participating in public relations programs that maintain ongoing contact between organization representatives and the public.
- Developing, coordinating and participating in promotional ideas, events, campaigns and activities to publicize and promote WGU North Carolina programs that increase lead generation.
- Arranging and coordinating public appearances and speaking engagements for the chancellor to generate awareness and interest among thought-leaders, employer communities, educators, and prospective students.
- Representing WGU North Carolina at events or activities.
- Designing video, PPT slide, and other visual presentations.
- Coordinating local marketing efforts with WGU national marketing team.
- Consistent production of high quality content for media and online use.
- Effective agency management
- Consistent growth of social media reach
- Effective promotions for scholarships and partnerships
- Continual development of creative ideas for media stories, blog posts, student events, and other promotional efforts
- Ability to work effectively with all external audiences as well as WGU staff at all levels.
- Outstanding writing skills and ability to write effectively for different audiences.
- Understanding of and ability to develop relationships with media.
- Ability to work independently, conceptualize projects and manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to perform creative writing and related activities such as conducting interviews, research, and editing.
- Ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to understand and interpret information accurately.
- Ability to communicate accurately and concisely.
- Ability to influence others positively.
- Ability to initiate creative and innovative promotional ideas.
- Display a competent and confident professional demeanor.
- Demonstrated skill and ability in the use of social media, including Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
- Demonstrated skill and ability in the effective use of equipment, computers and other resources for completion of projects such as posters, displays, PowerPoints, etc.
- Self-direction and reliability.
- Outstanding writing skills.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and customer service skills.
Required Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations, journalism, or related field.
- 5-8 years of experience in public relations or related field, including internships. An equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience is acceptable.
- Knowledge of public relations programs