The North Carolina Healthcare Association (NCHA) is a statewide trade association representing more than 130 hospitals providing acute care, ambulatory care, sub-acute care, rehabilitative, home health and hospice services, behavioral health services, state psychiatric inpatient services and veterans’ services. The association promotes and supports our members and associated partners by advocating for sound public policy, advancing collaborative partnerships, and accelerating innovation to improve the health of the communities where we live and work. NCHA achieves this work by leverage the scope and scale associated with a $17+ million-dollar organization, which is funded by members’ dues, grants, and shared service.
ABOUT CAROLINAS HEALTH INNOVATION INSTITUTE (CHI2)
The Carolinas Health Innovation Institute (CHI2) is a new partnership among NCHA, the South Carolina Hospital Association, and The Duke Endowment. The CHI2’s purpose is to redefine systems of care to equitably and sustainably meet the health needs of the Carolinas. The Institute aims to engage partners in understanding needs, evaluating promising practices, and co-designing innovative solutions to improve health and reduce disparities.
Responsible for the development, implementation and success monitoring of the CHI¬2’s annual and long-term communication strategy. Works with CHI¬2 leadership, partners, and funders to ensure that all marketing and communications initiatives are aligned and in support of the strategic direction. Operates as a core member of the central operations team supporting North and South Carolina to build and implement integrated plans and campaigns to increase awareness and engagement across both states and to promote and enhance brand reputation. Directs the creation of content for the public website and social media and oversees development and production of stakeholder resources and communications. Serves as an ambassador for CHI¬2 and primary point of contact for media and public relations.
This position is partially grant-funded and contingent on continued availability of funding.
• Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance the CHI¬2 brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its initiatives across key stakeholder audiences
• Create marketing/public relations and thought leadership strategies that will allow CHI2 leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including community partners and funders, the media and other key influencers
• Oversee development of all CHI2 print and digital communications, including content for the CHI2 website and social media channels, email marketing, print and digital publications, marketing collateral materials and the organization’s annual report.
• Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding CHI2 programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects, serving as a spokesperson when needed.
• Develop and maintain a network of key contacts among various stakeholders to encourage engagement in and promotion of CHI2 activities. Foster regular exchange of information and ongoing collaboration
• Serve as a communications counselor to leadership and guide internal communication efforts to build engagement and awareness of CHI¬2 priorities and programs among NCHA and SCHA staff
• Identify and monitor measures to evaluate the success of communications programs, reporting results to leadership
• Oversee the engagement and work product of outside communication firm(s) and other relevant vendors
• Manage communications budget
• Perform other tasks and duties as may be identified by the Executive Director
• Embrace the NCHA mission to improve the health of the communities where we live and work by advocating for sound public policy and collaborative partnerships
• Support the vision for a North Carolina where high-quality healthcare is equitable and accessible for all
• Demonstrate the association’s core values in all relationships, at all times. Respect. Integrity. Teamwork. Accountability. Perseverance.
• Works closely with the CHI2 Executive Director and CHI2 staff across North and South Carolina
• Coordinates communications strategies with NCHA and SCHA communications teams
• Develops and maintains good working relationships with health systems, community organizations, government agencies, funding partners, and other key stakeholders
• Builds relationships with members of the news media
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelors’ degree in Communications, Journalism/Public Relations, English or related field
• Minimum ten (10) years of communications, public relations, or marketing, or related experience preferred including five to seven years of experience in a similar position
• Minimum of five years’ experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications and directories
• Experience working in healthcare, public health, or social services preferred
• An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Demonstrated experience and leadership in developing and managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization's mission and goals
• Experience packaging information to convey a story to various audiences
• Strong organizational communications planning and project management skills, including the ability to lead multiple projects simultaneously under tight deadlines
• Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output with excellent results
• Proven ability to understand and apply concepts and best practices in marketing or public relations to develop message formulation, audience targeting and communication delivery
• Demonstrated experience in proactive media relations and serving as a spokesperson, including familiarity with methods of announcing and distributing information to news media
• Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills
• Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including the ability to use tact, diplomacy and persuasiveness (a high degree of emotional intelligence)
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, managers and clients
• Passion for the CHI2 mission and focus on eliminating health inequities
• Fluency in multi- and social media (organic and paid/promoted), as well as video production and digital communication.
• Experience with developing and maintaining content for an intranet or external website, including familiarity with design, functionality and navigation principles and implementation.
• Proficiency in all MS-Office applications including Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
• Proficiency in WordPress
• Experience working with email marketing platforms such as MailChimp or Constant Contact
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
• Work performed mostly in an office environment
• Use a computer throughout the workday
• May require occasional travel
NCHF is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce. Candidates who will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the organization are encouraged to apply. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to HR@ncha.org.
North Carolina Healthcare Association is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or other protected status.