NCPRSA accepting nominations for the 2023 Michael L. Herman Excellence in Mentoring Award
The North Carolina Chapter of PRSA recently announced the call for entries for the 2023 Michael L. Herman Excellence in Mentoring Award. nominations will be accepted through Friday, October 20, 2023. A long-time PRSA member and Gold Anvil winner, Mike Herman was a tireless advocate for excellence in public relations education.
In honor of his memory, his commitment to professional achievement, and his unique role as a mentor to many in our community, each year NCPRSA is proud to recognize an outstanding professional with the Michael Lee Herman Memorial Award.
This year’s winner will be announced at the 2023 NCPRSA Strategic Communications and Marcom Conference on November 17.
- The Award for Excellence in Mentoring is presented to an individual who exemplifies the ideal image of a mentor through a sustained track record of hands-on instruction and overall support to others pursuing a career in public relations.
- Nominees must either practice, teach or have practiced or taught in North Carolina or mentored someone who works or worked in public relations or in communications education in North Carolina.
Criteria for Consideration: The following are examples of the qualities and practices that can contribute to excellence in mentoring, though a mentor need not display all of them:
- Facilitates others in acquiring the skills and resources needed to succeed as professional communicators
- Provides support, advice and encouragement in professional matters
- Demonstrates concern and support of the personal development of mentees
- Successful role model
- Demonstrates a long-term commitment to mentoring
Submitting a Nomination: There is no nomination fee, and submissions should be submitted in an attached standard Microsoft Word document.
Nominations must be submitted by email to the Awards Co-Chairs Matt Lail and Kalyca Becktel by Friday, October 20, 2023.
- Nominee’s name, organization and title.
- Narrative should not exceed five pages, single-spaced in a 12-point font
- Strong nominating submission will include:
- Years the nominee has served as a mentor;
- Number of mentees the nominee has helped;
- How the nominee exemplifies mentoring and mentorship; and
- Examples of how the nominee has mentored others.
Recognition: The 2023 recipient will be honored at the 2023 NCPRSA Strategic Communications and Marcom Conference.
Nomination Deadline: Nominations close at midnight on Friday, October 20, 2022.