Communications and Marketing Assistant
Do you enjoy coordinating a variety of details focused around communications and marketing? Do you want to contribute to outreach to an important and deserving population? Is growth an outcome that motivates you in your work? Does being an important contributor to a busy and growing team sound exciting to you? If so, this may be the position for you!
Who we are and why we are hiring: The North Carolina Nurses Association (NCNA) is the leading professional organization for North Carolina’s registered nurses. We equip nurses at all stages to thrive in an ever-changing healthcare environment. NCNA helps keep North Carolina nurses on the cutting edge of nursing practice, policy, education, and more. Join us as we work to advance nursing and ensure high-quality healthcare for everyone.
NCNA has experienced significant recent growth, and we are approaching 8,000 members. Thus, the successful candidate will join a growing and enthusiastic team of staff and volunteers looking to increase member engagement and participation. The position is based out of NCNA’s headquarters in the North Hills area of Raleigh, NC. When back to fully-staffed, the NCNA staff team will consist of 9 full-time members, 2 part-time members and 3 independent contractors who work diligently to implement the strategic priorities of the organization.
Summary of Duties:
The Communications and Marketing Assistant should be a highly motivated, technologically savvy, team-oriented individual who will be responsible for supporting a variety of crucial association activities. This position provides support for member communications and marketing, as well as external outreach. This individual should be a skilled coordinator of multiple, simultaneous short- and long-term projects and needs a very high comfort level with electronic email messaging platforms, specifically Informz by Higher Logic. The position will also coordinate recruitment and organization of advertisers and provide administrative support to executive staff and elected leaders.
Communications (anticipated to be approximately 60% of time)
In collaboration with team members and with the guidance and direction from the NCNA Manager of Communications and Outreach, provide support to NCNA internal and external communications through activities and responsibilities such as the following:
- Provide high-quality support and expertise for multiple electronic publications (Inside NCNA, APRN e-news, Regional Newsletters and Calendar email). including formatting, basic design, proofreading, list management and distribution. Familiarity with HTML a plus.
- Provide assistance with organization and collection of submissions for the Tar Heel Nurse (print publication distributed 6 times per year), as well as proofreading and coordination of print and distribution process.
- Assist with association social media by managing the editorial calendar, adding events, and other information to platform pages, design/prep images to include with postings, and other needs as they emerge.
- Serve as primary contact for association advertising sales and placements for print and electronic publications. Proactively solicit new advertisers and maintain good relationships with existing customers.
- Coordinate member submissions for Regional newsletters and other electronic publications.
- Coordinate distribution of reader surveys and collate resulting feedback.
- Prep and proofread documents for website publication, external communications and other publications and communications documents, as needed.
- Support on-site event communications through NCNA’s event app and work with team members to update data and information into the app and assist with management of app content.
- Coordinate member communications related to sign up for the Nurse of the Day at the N.C. General Assembly (NCGA), including volunteer recruitment and logistics communications, as well as communications with NCGA representatives related to Nurse of the Day.
- Assist with composition of and design of handouts and social media posts. Graphic design skills a plus.
- Serve as primary manager of NCNA’s website by providing basic updates through a 3rd-party content management system.
- Assist with in-house copying and coordinate outsourced printing of communications and marketing materials.
- Assist with scheduling, recording, and editing the Nursing Rounds podcast. Opportunity to host, if interested.
Marketing (anticipated to be approximately 30% of time)
In collaboration with team members, provide support to NCNA marketing efforts to increase member and non-member attendance at NCNA events and programs, as well as member recruitment and retention.
- Provide high-quality support and expertise to compilation and distribution of email marketing for association events, programs, etc.
- Serve as active member of team activities related to marketing of association events and program.
- Manage and maintain the marketing calendar in collaboration with fellow team members.
- Coordinate promotion of and collection of items for annual Foundation silent auction, including outreach to potential item contributors.
Executive and Office Support (anticipated to be approximately 10% of time)
- Provide administrative support for association CEO including meeting and scheduling coordination, assistance with meeting preparation and hospitality for committees and other groups.
- Arrange travel, accommodations, itineraries, related to travel arrangements for CEO and key elected leaders and reviews or compile travel reimbursements requests for elected leaders.
- Coordinate submission of receipts and documentation for credit card charges, including coding for accounting.
- Prepare and edits correspondence, paperwork, reports, communications, presentations and other documents for the CEO and elected association President, as requested.
- Serves as a manager of first impressions for members and nonmembers alike. Serves as a front-line team member and supports a welcoming office environment through assistance with receiving visitors and responding to general phone inquiries 1-2 days a week. Responds appropriately and assists as needed to questions, comments, requests, etc. Assesses and resolves problems as necessary..
- As with all positions on a small team, contribute to team projects and office coverage and other responsibilities, as needed.
Excellent computer skills with especially strong proficiency in Microsoft Office, database manipulation and electronic messaging/marketing platforms with MS Office and other computer programs; outstanding organizational skills and the ability to prioritize amongst multiple projects and deadlines; well-developed interpersonal skills and critical thinking; committed team player and, other duties assigned as needed. Graphic design, HTML, and sales skills a plus.
The ability to lift up to 15 pounds and operate a vehicle is required. A minimum of 1-2 years of administrative experience and/or communications experience required, as well as a Bachelor’s Degree. Higher years of related experience may supplant the need for 4-year college degree. Some association experience is a plus.
Benefits: NCNA offers a competitive benefits package that includes paid holidays, sick and vacation time; medical insurance, a generous 401(k) plan, and operating hours of 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM. NCNA welcomes applicants from historically underserved and marginalized communities and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
COVID Vaccination Requirement: NCNA requires all current and new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired to work at NCNA, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination or be willing to receive the vaccination.
To apply: If your background, skills and interest are a strong match with the position description, you are invited to express your interest by submitting the following to NCNA at firstname.lastname@example.org or 4350 Lassiter at North Hills Avenue, Suite 250, Raleigh, NC 27609:
- A well-written, thoughtfully composed cover letter that demonstrates you have explored our website and purpose, have carefully read the position description, and are confident your profile is a match for us. Tell us why you are attracted to this specific opportunity.
- A resume outlining your professional and educational experience/achievements
- Examples of your work (links, attachments, outcomes, etc.)
- Please put your favorite color in the subject line of your application message