Supervisor, External Communications
The Supervisor, External Communications is responsible for day-to-day management of ElectriCities’ advertising, sponsorship, public relations, media relations, and thought-leadership activities in support of overall corporate brand management and raising the visibility of public power and public power communities in support of ElectriCities strategic plan. The Supervisor, External Communications coordinates with ElectriCities internal departments, manages external vendors and partners, and interfaces directly with ElectriCities member communities on initiatives. These initiatives are created for ElectriCities of NC, Inc., NCEMPA, NCMPA1 and those members of ElectriCities collectively known as public power.
- Manage day-to-day advertising and sponsorship campaigns driven by ElectriCities in support of efforts to raise awareness for the organization and public power. Serve as point of contact for outside agencies, vendors, and partners and manage contracts, timelines, and budgets.
- Make recommendations to the Vice President, Communications on new advertising and sponsorship methods, tactics, and opportunities and provide member communities with strategic counsel on their local advertising, sponsorship, and general promotional efforts.
- Serve as spokesperson for the organization as needed.
- Initiate proactive media opportunities with the ability to write clear, compelling, and concise media materials and pitches. Monitor and report on earned media activities.
- Create and maintain relationships with members of the media via telephone, email, social media, and in-person interactions. Maintain local, state, and national media lists.
- Establish media training opportunities for internal and external audiences.
- Develop a thought leadership strategy for ElectriCities Executives and Senior Staff as appropriate, creating materials that elevate ElectriCities, its employees, and member communities.
- Develop news releases, media statements, media advisories, pitches, Q&As, articles, talking points, handouts, issue briefs, presentations, etc. for use with media and other stakeholder groups.
- Provide regular progress updates against goals and priorities to the VP, Communications. Keep the VP, Communications apprised of evolving communications and public relations issues, opportunities, and risks.
- Present to members on communications and public relations-related topics at the ElectriCities Annual Conference, Connections Summit, regional meetings, and Communications Task Force meetings as needed.
- Manage annual “Public Power Promotional Program” (P4), approving project reimbursement requests and driving the awareness and promotion of the program.
- In consultation with the Vice President, Communications, develop and implement an annual external communications plan for departmental PR efforts to achieve ElectriCities’ and regional public power’s communications goals.
- In consultation with the Vice President, Communications, develop and implement an annual plan to enhance the members’ communications capacity and activity.
- Work with other department leads to ensure a consistent brand message in external-facing materials.
- Maintain positive relationships with stakeholders, including relationships with peers within our organization and membership, at other organizations, media outlets, trade organizations and publications, state agencies, and others that foster synergy on common issues.
- Foster an environment of collaboration and teamwork to effectively work with other departments/divisions and fellow employees. Support direct report in annual goal setting, appraisal process, and development plans.
- Participate in training and capacity building activities.
- Supervise and support the career growth of the Public Relations Specialist.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Supervisor, External Communications reports directly to the Vice President, Communications who reviews the employee’s work performance under ElectriCities’ guidelines in terms of overall effectiveness and provides professional guidance as needed. All time sheets, requests for time off, etc. will be approved by the Vice President, Communications. This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
The Supervisor, External Communications must maintain the physical condition necessary to perform tasks in an office setting such as operating a personal computer, keyboard, and other peripheral equipment. Travel within the state of North Carolina is required. Periodic travel within the U.S.
may also be required for training and development purposes.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, or related field.
- A minimum of 7 years of communications, marketing, public relations, or journalism experience.
- Strong media relations skills. North Carolina media relationships preferred.
- Exceptional drafting, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Experience using email marketing and e-newsletter tools such as Constant Contact and Mailchimp. Experience with ProTech AMS platform ideal.
- Proficiency with and knowledge of AP Style, Microsoft Office, website content management software, and social media platforms.
- Crisis communications experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and written and oral communication skills. Experience collaborating successfully with multidisciplinary teams.
- Strong presentation skills to both internal and external clients on communications messages, tactics, and best practices.
- Ability to work on multiple projects with frequently changing priorities in a collaborative environment.
- Acute attention to detail and comfort in developing and working with project plans and timelines.
- Ability to work under pressure and deadlines. Demonstrated creativity in problem-solving.
- Ability to think strategically, exercise good judgment, and innovate.
- Strong level of initiative and ability to work with minimal supervision.
We offer challenging and rewarding careers in a family-friendly culture, a competitive compensation, benefits, and rewards package, as well as career development opportunities. ElectriCities is an Equal Opportunity Employer.